Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why we love Yo Gabba Gabba (it's weird, but now I like it)


Yo Gabba Gabba is one of the few children's programs that I can actually enjoy with my kids. It reminds me of Sesame Street and The Electric Company from when I was a kid.

Unlike some of the other meaningless junk cartoons, Yo Gabba Gabba is actually fun and educational. It took me a couple of episodes to "get it," because it's different from anything else I've seen, but now I see why the kids love it so much! We sing and dance together to songs like "Don't Bite Your Friends," and "Party in my Tummy!" Once you get over the "this is so weird" phase, it's a blast.

One of my favorite parts of Yo Gabba Gabba is the special "Dancey Dance" segment. This is where a special guest actor or celebrity teaches the characters -- and us -- how to do a special dance, like the "Twirly Whirly" (Nikki Flores) or the "Puppet Master" (Elijah Wood), and other special moves by Laila Ali, Sugarland, Sean Kingston, and others. The dances are simple and fun for the kids, and having a real human person on the show makes it more relatable for adults. Plus, I'm not much of a dancer, so these simple steps are perfect for me, too! There are also special music segments, featuring fun bands like the Aquabats and the Salteens, doing some very perky, peppy toe-tapping tunes.

Quite simply, Yo Gabba Gabba is the freshest, hippest new kids' show out there, and if you'd like to check out some videos and get more information on Yo Gabba Gabba, visit my Yo Gabba Gabba page at Squidoo.

No comments: